Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Merry Christmas

  How appropriate the first time I sell my goods to the public, it was at the Red Neck Country Club!  I was invited to set up a booth and brings some goodies for sale. I built a bunch of end grain cutting boards and magnetic bottle openers for the occasion.
  I really enjoyed myself, and had a great time talking about my work. I appreciated everyone's compliments and was flattered every time someone purchased something from me. 

Cheer,

Jeremy
  




Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I was sitting at a bar when it hit me with what I can do with all my end grain cutting board scraps.

What to do with all those cut offs from my end grain cutting boards?



Round over the corners on the router, drill a one inch hole in the bottoms for the threaded fitting, apply some BLO, and then slap on a couple coats some poly while sanding in between.



Now head over to your favorite bar and give them their new beer tap handle to replace the generic crap ones.
My favorite local pub D&T Drive Inn chose the purple heart and maple handle.
One of my coolest customers Nobi Public House went with with the walnut and maple one.
Will woodwork for beer!

Monday, April 7, 2014

Chop Sticks Box

Here is a small  wedding present for my friends Mari and Chung.  I got the idea while we were traveling in South Korea and noticed everyone had a box to store the chop sticks and spoons.  The box is tiger maple and the lid and splines are purple heart. 



Friday, March 28, 2014

Walnut End Table

    My end table project is finally completed!  I can proudly say that it is the best that I have in me right now.

Here is my Quarter Sawn Walnut Mid Century inspired end table.  It was finished with coats of boiled linseed oil to bring out the beautiful  grain and then waxed several times to give it a great feel.  The drawer is solid walnut with dovetails joints.  The table is has continuous grain flowing around the body to the bottom where it is attached to the cross legs using wood dowels. 



Sadly I have misplaced most of my build pics since my last update.  I do however have a a couple of adding the finish to it.   As always thanks for looking, and I hope to add a few more projects soon.

Cheers,

Jeremy







Before and afters of adding a single coat of BLO to it.  One of the best parts is when you get to see what the wood really looks like after all the time you spend on it.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Inbox for Snail Mail

  After getting tired of having our mail scattered all over our kitchen counter I finally did something about it.  So I built a quick mahogany box with some jatoba in the bottom panel, as mitered splines and inlay ed around the outside.  The finish is just a coat of boiled linseed oil to bring out the grain and figure in this beautiful wood.  After spending so much time working through my end table project it was nice to put something together that did not take much thought or effort.  Thanks for looking ~ Jeremy




Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Update to the End Table

  Slowly but surely I am trudging along. Now that the carcass, and the drawer are complete, what am I gonna do for the stand?
  For the this table I wanted to do something that really set it apart from the other (not built by me) furniture. So for the legs I decided to do a cross let, or X legs as I found out they can be called. This is something that I have never done before so true to this project, another learning experience.

  I used what what left of my rift sawn walnut to create some blanks for my four legs. I ripped the pieces to about 1.25” wide and 23” long then glued them together. From there I set my ts blade to the 45 degrees and beveled each corner giving them a look that I thought matched the rest of it. I suppose it may not be typical for this era of furniture but really I have no idea about that type of thing yet. So I am just going for looks and authenticity.


Now for the part I regret now. I took my legs and placed them on top of each other and figured in my head what angle to cut the top and bottom. After cutting them I laid them back down and marked the mortises. After using my favorite saw and chisel I fit them together. However they were not the same height when stood up. So it looks like the angle of my cut was off.

I should of thought through this more. So those pieces went to the scrap pile and I had to pick up another board to redo them. Since I had more wood, I increased their width for better support. I cut the bevels the same but for cutting the mortise of where the cross I tried something different.
A small box was built that was the width of where I wanted the legs to attach to the base. My wife the engineer gave me a hand and we figured out the required angle that it would need to be the height I wanted.

From there I cut the tops of each leg at 29 degrees and then laid them in the box. I measure and marked them. The mortise was cut, this time a little bit shallower. After trimming them I got a tight fit and both sets of legs matched. Now that will do.

This whole process was made much more difficult than it should be in hind sight. Why I did not just put the legs on the table saw in my miter gauge and cut them that way,I have no idea. Maybe because that would be too easy.
Well now it sits, just needing to attach the legs to the base. My plan is to use two dowels for each leg. If anyone has any better ideas or suggestions on how this should be done, I am all ears. As always thanks for stopping by.
Cheers,
Jeremy